Travel Tip: Fun Lodging at Shady Dell, Bisbee Arizona

People sometimes ask me, “What is the best place you have stayed?”

It is difficult to pick the best place—or for that matter, the best meal, event, adventure, etc.

However, one of the most unique and memorable places I stayed was the Shady Dell in Bisbee Arizona. This place is fantastic.

Shady Dell is so much more than just a place to stay. It offers nine vintage trailers from the 1940s and 1950s—all fully restored and authentically furnished. Staying at Shady Dell is like stepping back into the 1950s, as you can see from my pictures.

A couple of years ago I visited Shady Dell and was fortunate to stay in their vintage 1949 restored Airstream trailer.

shady dell bisbee arizona

Instead of a window or maybe a balcony, I had this lovely courtyard with fake plastic grass. Somehow that was just perfect.

shady dell bisbee arizona

I rocked out with some 45s from the 1950s. shady dell bisbee arizonaThe instruction sheet.

shady dell bisbee arizona

Below are pictures of some of the other Shady Dell trailers.

shady dell bisbee arizona

You can check availability and rates on one convenient chart.

Below are some other pictures from the Shady Dell property.

This instruction sheet was in the laundry room. I am so glad there was no atomic attack during my visit.

shady dell bisbee arizona

Dot’s Diner was built in the 1950s and served as a diner in Los Angeles. Now it serves Bisbee residents and visitors. Dot’s was packed for breakfast.

shady dell bisbee arizona

That’s an old phone. No Q or Z.

shady dell bisbee arizona

Hard to say which incredible trailer I would select next time. If I am by myself, I might select the 1952 Homemade at only $55 a night. The 1947 boat or the 1947 Tiki Bus seem like the most unusual and fun.

Follow McCool Travel on FacebookTwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponLinkedIn, and Bloglovin

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Travel Tip: Fun Lodging at Shady Dell, Bisbee Arizona”

1. Rachel Heller January 7, 2017 at 5:48 am #

What a flash from the past those trailers are! I wish I’d seen them when I was in Bisbee. I stayed in a silverstream once at a place up in the California wine country … I don’t remember exactly where anymore. Maybe Calistoga.

• McCool Travel January 7, 2017 at 9:16 am #

Sounds great, Rachel. I hope to find that and other such cool places.

2. Julie @ FuninFairfaxVA January 4, 2017 at 9:46 am #

I want to return to Bisbee just to stay in one of these Shady Dell trailers. What a perfect hotel for a funky little corner of Arizona.

• McCool Travel January 4, 2017 at 11:16 am #

Yes, we should visit Arizona and stay here. Very funky.

3. Rebecca Hall (Bex) January 2, 2017 at 5:34 pm #

That looks like a great way to spend a vacation. I’ve seen airstream’s in places like Lakedale Resort in the San Juan Islands (just off Seattle) but that was quite expensive. This looks rustic and quaint.

• McCool Travel January 3, 2017 at 10:33 pm #

Thank you. I might check out that place but it sounds like the rate is too much.

4. Arnie May 17, 2016 at 9:51 am #

Now this? This is way fun. I’d almost want to travel to Bisbee, AZ for this alone!

• McCool Travel May 17, 2016 at 9:56 am #

Thank you, Arnie. I got a real kick from spending a night in a vintage Airstream from the 1950s.

5. Suzy October 30, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

What a cool place to stay! I would feel like I was back on I Love Lucy or something with some of those fixtures in the room

• McCool Travel October 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

Very cool place, Suzy. Everything is 1950s. Yes, I Love Lucy is the right time frame.

6. Barbara Winter October 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

A trip down memory lane, indeed! Love this. For some reason, I am suddenly smitten with vintage Airstream trailers. Thanks for sharing.

• McCool Travel October 28, 2011 at 10:45 pm #

Well, this is your place if you are near Bisbee, Arizona. There must be other places with nostalgic aluminum trailers. Related but not, one of the gals from B-52s runs a kitschy inn, I think in the Poconos.

%d bloggers like this: