For McCool Travel’s 141st travel interview, I am pleased to introduce you to Mike Shubic of Mike’s Road Trip. I recently attended two conferences—in ...
Which country has the most adventurous travelers?
Is it your country? Take a few seconds to think about which country has the most adventurous travelers and then read on to see if you were right.
Global Adventure Ranking
SHAREaCAMPER—a peer-to-peer motorhome rental platform operating in Australia, New Zealand, and Germany—produces the Global Adventure Ranking to better understand their international customer base. After all, SHAREaCAMPER helps adventurous travelers plan driving adventures and the study better informs thrill seekers about where they might find kindred travel buddies.
The Global Adventure Ranking study ranks 40 countries according to total searches and per capita (per 100,000 residents) of eight popular adventure activities: BMX, Bungee Jumping, Caravanning, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Skiing, Skydiving, and Surfing.
The 2017 Global Adventure Ranking results will be officially announced in a few days, on 27 April 2017. McCool Travel received an exclusive preview of the study to share with our audience of adventurous travelers.
Interesting data to me includes:
- USA ranks first in total overall searches for all categories except Hiking
- India ranks first in searches for Hiking. Big surprise to me. Are you surprised by this? The top five countries for hiking (per capita) are India, UAE, USA, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
- UK ranks higher (per capita) than USA and several seemingly more active Europe countries (like Austria, Finland, and Switzerland)
- Japan ranks in top 10 but South Africa ranks in the bottom 10 for Surfing (per capita)
- Australia ranks first (per capita) in three categories—Skydiving, Surfing, and Rock Climbing—more than any other country, yet they are not the overall number one country
Most Adventurous Travelers are From …
Before revealing the top countries, the bottom five countries for adventurous travelers are:
- South Africa
- South Korea
Since these were the bottom five of the 40 countries they really, then, are the countries with the 36th to 40th most adventurous travelers. Right?
Now, drum roll please.
Top ten countries for adventurous travelers are:
- Netherlands (Holland)
Was Netherlands your choice for the country with the most adventurous travelers?
Leave a comment if you were correct, which country you selected, and or other thoughts. South Africa ranking so low on this list really surprised me.
Find the complete results of the 2017 Global Adventure Ranking here.
For more information about SHAREaCAMPER, please visit their website and Facebook page.