Just before a 4th of July holiday, my wife and I stayed two nights at Kimpton Hotel George in Washington, D.C. Hotel George was the first Kimpton property to open in DC (in 1998) and was awarded a 2014 Fodor’s 100 Hotel Award, one of 15 Boutique Chic Category winners.
There is probably no better proof of the hotel’s chicness than this funky, quirky picture.
Of course, Hotel George has other portraits of George Washington. This picture faces the elevator on every floor.
Entering our room, we encountered the first touch of Kimpton charm.
McCool Travel tip: join the Kimpton Karma Rewards program for special surprises and secret room upgrades.
Here are some other reasons why I enjoyed the Kimpton Hotel George.
8 Great Reasons to Stay at Kimpton Hotel George
1. Location. Hotel George is one of the closest hotels to the Capitol Building, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, Newseum, and many Smithsonian museums. Within walking distance of Hotel George (less than 20 minutes) is much of Capitol Hill, Washington Monument, White House, Eastern Market, Spy Museum, Convention Center, and Chinatown (and the Verizon Center).
2. Amenities. At 5pm-6pm every day, Hotel George hosts a Happier Hour for guests. During our stay they offered wine and sangria (yummy!). They often serve local craft beers. They provided delicious and refreshing lemonade in early afternoon. Hotel George has a 24 hour fitness center, business center, yoga mats (in the rooms), and animal robes (cool!). For an additional fee, you can order an in-room spa service or eat at the onsite highly acclaimed Bistro Bis. If you forgot a toiletry item, Kimpton has you covered. One cool amenity is $10 off the daily parking fee for hybrid vehicles. Probably my favorite amenity is that Kimpton Hotel George is 100% smoke free.
3. Bicycles. Hotel George has loaner PUBLIC bicycles (with locks!) for convenient and healthy ground transportation around DC. Although one staff member told me the bikes were popular and available on a first-come basis, I saw at least one bike every time I walked through the lobby.
4. Location. Hotel George is less than 2 blocks (five minute walk) from Union Station. Union Station is a great place to arrive or depart by train (cool), to use Metro to visit other areas of Washington, D.C.—or Virginia or Maryland, or catch a popular tour bus.
5. Staff. Every staff member we encountered was professional and friendly. Candice, in particular, was spot on with sightseeing and dining suggestions. She also mentioned that guests can partake of other D.C. Kimpton property amenities, such as the rooftop pool at the Donovan Hotel. Closer to the Hotel George, you can go swimming at La Liaison’s rooftop pool.
6. Room. My room was luxurious and comfortable. I loved the decorative vest pillows. One great Kimpton touch is easy to access charging stations for electronic devices—most lamps have outlets. I continue to be amazed that not all hotel chains and properties do this.
7. Hotel Shuttle. Hotel George offers a shuttle service for guests. While I did not utilize this amenity, a staff member told me it is only available in the mornings and within 1 mile of the hotel. It would be a good method to get to Union Station if you have too much luggage or to your important meeting at the Supreme Court.
8. Location. Did I mention that Hotel George is in a great location. Really, Hotel George scores very high on the Location, Location, Location scale. Although we checked out on July 3, I met one guest who was staying for the 4th of July festivities. He said it was the best location in Washington, D.C., that he was so thrilled to be able to walk to the show and back to his hotel. On our second evening, we spent about 30 minutes in front of the Capitol Building watching and listening to Barry Manilow rehearse for the Capitol Fourth concert.
McCool Travel tip: No, I did not pay the above rate! Kimpton Hotel George rates are very reasonable, especially when booked three weeks in advance and with discount programs, like AAA or AARP.