To slash rental car rates, I use AutoSlash—a free online service that automatically and continually checks for lower rates and notifies me!
My process for finding the lowest rental car rates, based on years of experience and countless research, is to typically check:
- Hertz with my AAA discount
- National with Entertainment discount
- for other discounts, deals, and promotions
- Avis with various discounts
- Hotwire and Priceline
Late last year I added a new step to my process for finding cheap rental cars. Since this article was first published, I book most of my car rentals through Costco Travel—but I still use Autoslash as described.
To assure that I am getting the lowest car rental rates, I now use AutoSlash. AutoSlash is a FREE service.
Disclaimer: NONE. AutoSlash did not provide any incentive or information for this post. I am an independent consumer travel advocate, always interested in helping and teaching travelers to save money and have more fun.
Slash Rental Car Rates
At AutoSlash you can make new reservations or have it track existing reservations made elsewhere (like at Hertz and National). AutoSlash emails you when it finds lower rates.
The latter might be most important because in the past I spent time rechecking the rates to see if there was a price drop. Admittedly, I did not always happen to find the lowest possible car rental rate. Now the work is done for me.
When AutoSlash first launched (in 2010), I e-mailed my reservation information to them. Now anyone can enter rental car reservation information on the Autoslash website. Autoslash automatically uses the discount codes and coupons you entered for your original reservation.
Two examples of AutoSlash saving me money (and time):
- For a car rental in Austin, Texas, I made a reservation with National at about $35 per day. AutoSlash tracked it and lowered the rate to less than $20 a day (including all fees and taxes).
- For a December car rental in Boston, I could not find a rate lower than $90 a day (before taxes and fees). Ouch! I made a reservation for a three day rental anyway. AutoSlash automatically rebooked my reservation to $85 TOTAL for three days. I was astonished.
AutoSlash is a powerful service, it is FREE, and everyone should use it to slash rental car rates.
Read the AutoSlash blog for more rental car and travel tips directly from the source.
Please see these other rental car articles: