A popular travel debate is how much stuff to bring on trips? The carryon versus checked baggage argument has led to countless arguments and relationship breakups.
OK, I might have made up that last part.
I have been a member of the carryon only club ever since I can remember. With the exception of a couple of flights when my kids were toddlers, I and / or my family never check bags. For week long trips to Europe, we traveled with only three carryon bags (for four people). My wife and I traveled for several months with only a carryon each so I know everyone can do it.
Bringing less stuff makes for happier travelers.
8 Great Reasons to Join the Carryon Club
- Saves Money. Now, with most airlines charging passengers for checking bags*, members of the carryon club save money every time they fly. Carryon club members, when we decide to splurge on luxurious lodging options, save additional expense of tipping bellmen.
- Saves Time. After flights, carryon club members get the heck out of airports while checkin club members wait at baggage claim. More vacation time equals more fun.
- Reduces Stress. Carryon club members do not have to worry about their bags being lost or delayed by the airline, stolen or damaged during the transit process, or broken into and stuff being taken. Any of the above situations also results in a loss of time and money.
- Reduces Physical Toll. It is simply harder to travel with more stuff. Lugging your bags from baggage claim onto the shuttle, from the shuttle to the rental car, from the rental car into your lodging, or onto a bus or train, or walking around; it is harder with more stuff.
- Europe. European rental cars and hotels are smaller. If four people each bring a carryon AND a checkin bag, they may not all fit in a regular size rental car. You will be required to rent a larger vehicle, which costs more money and is less convenient to drive the smallish roads. Many European hotels have small configurations. People who bring too much stuff are constantly tripping over their bags on the floor.
- Ease of Movement. Tight flight connections, especially between different airlines, are much easier to make for carryon club members. We do not have to wait to claim and recheck bags. For longer flight connections, we can explore and not have to lug an extra bag.
- Repacking. Less stuff equals less time repacking and minimizes the possibility of lost items.
- Greenness. It is environmentally friendly to bring less stuff. Less stuff means less weight on airplanes and other transportation.
What do you think? Are you a carryon club member? Want to join?
- NOTE: Baggage fees might be waived if you have the airline’s credit card.