11 Useful Travel Tips You Have Never Seen: Getting There

6 Websites That Will Make You a Happy Traveler

Being a happy traveler is easier with the right resources. There are millions of travel websites; many are useful while many are not. While every traveler and trip can justify using different websites, the following are perhaps most likely to make you a happy traveler.

Websites That Will Make You a Happy Traveler

Yelp. One common theme for any trip—whether a road trip with an Airbnb stay or a flight with hotel—is eating. My favorite website for dining suggestions is Yelp, which houses reviews provided by people who have actually eaten there. Everyone wants to give their opinions. Right? It is not all about high ratings, either. I find that 3 star places are often more enjoyable than 4.5 star places.

Yelp will make you a happy traveler

Yelp travel website

Secret Flying. My latest guilty pleasure is Secret Flying. They uncover and report drastically reduced and mistake airfares. It is a window shopping dream. In the past 24 hours they listed $418 roundtrip fares between Los Angeles and Australia and $434 roundtrip between Chicago to Japan. Subscribe to their daily newsletter to automatically receive a recap or follow their Twitter account for convenience.

Secret Flying will make you a happy traveler

Secret Flying travel website

Travelzoo. I look forward to receiving my Travelzoo newsletter every Wednesday morning. Each newsletter is chock full of deals—all good and some unbelievable—on flights, lodging, activities, and tours. Travelzoo also sends out a Travelzoo Newsflash when there is an expiring deal. Today’s deal is $999 for an 8 night upscale vacation in China.

Secret Flying will make you a happy traveler

Travelzoo travel website

Airbnb. The sharing economy has transformed the travel industry and using Airbnb should definitely make you a happy traveler. While there are many advantages of Airbnb properties, my favorite is enjoying more space and amenities at a lower price compared to hotels.

Secret Flying will make you a happy traveler

Airbnb travel website

Skyscanner. While there are many travel websites for booking flights and hotels, the features of Skyscanner might be the most fun. Find lowest airfares on a specific date (boring) or ask Skyscanner to find the Cheapest Month. Search from your home airport to another airport (yawn) or have Skyscanner find the lowest airfare from an airport in US to Everywhere in the world in the next year. Fun stuff.

Skyscanner travel website will make you a happy traveler

Skyscanner travel website

Autoslash. For the lowest possible car rental rates, I use Autoslash. Autoslash can track existing reservations made elsewhere (like at Hertz and National) or allows you to make new reservations. Autoslash can automatically rebook when rates drop, which should make you a very happy traveler since you do not have to keep rechecking your reservation.

Autoslash will make you a happy traveler

Autoslash travel website

Which travel websites make you a happy traveler?

Follow McCool Travel on FacebookTwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUpon, and LinkedIn.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Be a happy traveler by using these websites, to help you save money, time, and stress on every trip.

Tags: , ,

71 Responses to “6 Websites That Will Make You a Happy Traveler”

1. Jan April 10, 2017 at 7:42 pm #

Great travel hacks, especially the one about a special meal on a plane. I always try to book a hotel room that at least has a kettle/coffee maker as I don’t eat big breakfasts. Wish I didn’t have to enter my email address, etc for AutoSlash, but I might try it out to see if it beats AutoEurope’s prices.

• McCoolTravel (@CharlesMcCool) April 10, 2017 at 9:58 pm #

It is free so worth a try, I say. Personally, I have saved 100s of dollars on some rentals so that is why I love AutoSlash.

2. Aditi April 2, 2017 at 6:10 pm #

I like this article this is so informative.

3. Wanderlust Marriage (@WndlustMarriage) August 29, 2016 at 6:47 pm #

Great post, did not know about secrete flying, will definitely have to check this out 🙂 thank you!!

4. Sara Broers (@TravelWithSara) August 27, 2016 at 11:03 pm #

I did not know about Secret Flying~ thanks for the introduction!

5. alison abbott April 30, 2016 at 7:20 pm #

Can’t wait to check out Secret Flying. I hope I can control myself!

• McCool Travel May 6, 2016 at 6:17 am #

Secret Flying is a dangerous website for window (or aisle) shopping. Travel Happy!

6. BlondeBrunetteTravel April 28, 2016 at 1:06 pm #

I’ve gone on some good deals with TravelZoo and can’t wait to check out SecretFlying. I like the app Skiplagged. They show itineraries you won’t find on a lot of other apps or sites and present it easily so you can see time and cost at a glance.

7. Caryn/The Mid Life Guru April 28, 2016 at 12:04 pm #

I need to check out Secret Flyer!!

8. suereddel April 27, 2016 at 10:04 pm #

Never heard of SecretFlying we’ll definitely check it out! Nice list Charles!

• McCool Travel May 6, 2016 at 6:18 am #

Thank you, Sue. It is fun crowd sourcing happy travel resources.

9. Carole Terwilliger Meyers April 27, 2016 at 11:31 am #

Secret Flying and Autoslash sound cool, McCool. I will give them a try.

10. Johanna April 26, 2016 at 9:03 pm #

Secret Flying is new to me too, and thanks for the reminder about some of the others. Love these inspirational and useful posts 🙂

• McCool Travel May 6, 2016 at 6:19 am #

Aw, thank you for the kind words, Johanna. Helping people Travel Happy is my mission.

11. Cindy McCain April 26, 2016 at 8:28 am #

Secret Flying is amazing–thanks for the tip!!!

12. Kristin Henning April 25, 2016 at 8:19 pm #

Thanks, this is a really fun list. AutoSlash and Secret Flying are new to me. So now we’re following them!

• McCool Travel May 6, 2016 at 6:20 am #

Travel should be fun, Kristin. Thank you for the note.

13. Susan Moore April 25, 2016 at 1:55 pm #

Wow I’ve only tried Airbnb and Yelp, use them both a lot!
    Will have to look into the rest of these websites for my future travel happiness 🙂
    Thank you for the tips!

• McCool Travel May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am #

Hi Susan. What else makes you a happy traveler? 😀

14. Janice Chung April 25, 2016 at 12:26 pm #

Agree wholeheartedly with your choices. Those websites are great. Secretflying and Autoslash are new ones to me. I love finding deals so these will be great to check out.

• McCool Travel May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am #

Let me know how you like the new resources, Janice.

15. Anne Woodyard (@MusicandMarkets) April 25, 2016 at 11:01 am #

I THINK I figured out how to subscribe to Secret Flying – hope so! I look at Flight Deal several times a day too, and recently grabbed a cheap flight from IAD to Victoria – have always wanted to see the Butchart Gardens and we’ll finally get to do so on a very quick summer trip!

• McCool Travel May 6, 2016 at 6:22 am #

Fantastic. A quick trip to YVR is better than no trip. Enjoy!

16. Natalie March 3, 2016 at 9:53 pm #

I’m so dorky–I get SO happy when I see my TravelZoo newsletter hit my inbox each week! 🙂 That’s usually followed by me trying to convince my husband that we’ve got to go off on another trip! I’m going to have to add a few of these into my regular web browsing rotation!

17. Bon-Bon March 2, 2016 at 3:35 pm #

Nice… Secret flying is new to me:) Thank you so much…

• McCool Travel March 3, 2016 at 6:21 pm #

Good luck. They reported on great fares all over the world and I hope you nail one from Down Under.

18. sophienadeau March 1, 2016 at 11:53 am #

I can’t believe I’ve still never used airbnb! I’ve never heard of a couple of these so will definitely be checking them out now! 🙂

• McCool Travel March 1, 2016 at 9:31 pm #

Of course I totally encourage you to try Airbnb. Let me know about your experience when you do.

19. The GypsyNesters February 29, 2016 at 9:44 pm #

Great list, thanks Charles! We use Yelp all the time but need to check the rest of these.

• McCool Travel March 1, 2016 at 9:31 pm #

Excellent. When you do, let me know what you think.

20. Carole Terwilliger Meyers February 29, 2016 at 4:14 pm #

I do use yelp all the time but none of the others. Might give them a try.

21. Jo ~ Lifestyle Fifty February 29, 2016 at 8:53 am #

What some great suggestions Charles. I’m going to add Yelp and Secret Flying to my list. I already use and love Skyscanner. Such a useful post, thank you!

22. Angela February 29, 2016 at 8:23 am #

Great websites! Never heard of Secret Flyer so we will definitely check that one out!

23. Rachel Heller February 29, 2016 at 4:13 am #

Thank you for this! I definitely recommend skyscanner. I use it for its emails where you search for the flight you want and then get an e-mail whenever the price of that flight goes up or down. And I’m a big fan of Airbnb too. I’ve used it when I was traveling on a very tight budget, but also when we needed a whole house for the whole family, and at both ends of the scale it’s never let me down. I never heard of Secret Flying before, but I just subscribed!

• McCool Travel March 1, 2016 at 9:42 pm #

Thank you for the confirmations. Let me know what you think of Secret Flying.

24. Anita and Richard @ No Particular Place To Go February 29, 2016 at 3:42 am #

Thanks for your great tips and I plan to make Sky Scanner my go-to website when I book my next trip as well as sign up for Secret Flying. And here’s my endorsement for AirBnB – We use it first when booking reservations and recently stayed in a lovely apartment in Seville and an awesome Riad in Fez. And AirBnB reimbursed plus gave us a coupon the one time a place was not as advertised. Anita

• McCool Travel March 1, 2016 at 9:43 pm #

Anita, glad you have found great deals (and even a credit) from Airbnb. Great score!

25. The Savvy Globetrotter February 28, 2016 at 11:53 pm #

What a great list! I always read yelp reviews for everything both at home and when traveling. I especially love Skyscanner’s everywhere feature and Secret Flying for finding great deals.

• McCool Travel March 1, 2016 at 9:40 pm #

Glad you enjoy the same resources. Travel Happy!

26. Donna Janke February 28, 2016 at 10:39 pm #

I’ve used Yelp and just recently Airbnb and have had good experiences with both. I have also found VRBO to be useful – I’ve found a couple of great, reasonable home rentals there. I did not know about Travelzoo and am going to be adding that to my list. Thanks.

27. Sumti Bhadani February 27, 2016 at 12:29 pm #

Awesome. What I like most is Secret flying. I am wondering, how they get this deals. Anyways its a good option for me also now.. Thanks again for sharing it 🙂

• McCool Travel February 27, 2016 at 11:31 pm #

Not sure how they find the deals but I like seeing them.

28. Alice Teacake February 27, 2016 at 3:25 am #

Awesome post! Have added Travelzoo and Secret Flying to my list. Thanks for these awesome resources.

• McCool Travel February 27, 2016 at 10:38 am #

Thank you for the visit and note, Alice. Travel Happy!

29. lavidaglobal February 27, 2016 at 2:19 am #

I was going to comment on my experience with Yelp but then I saw Secret Flying. Never heard of it but will be a keen observer from now on.

• McCool Travel February 27, 2016 at 10:39 am #

Secret Flying is my new favorite resource. Love the flight deals they find.

30. WyldfamilyTravel (@wyldfamtravel) February 26, 2016 at 11:29 pm #

I have regually compared skyscanner to momondo for international flights. i have always found that momondo comes out on top, not sure why. I still chech skyscanner regually in hope that they will have a cheaper price

• McCool Travel February 27, 2016 at 10:40 am #

Oh, yeah, Momondo is a nice one. I prefer the Skyscanner interface and fun way of looking for fares. Truth, I always, well almost always, buy from the airline’s website, anyway.

31. Vik February 26, 2016 at 5:04 pm #

Great List.. I visit NationalParksIamges.org for travel to National Parks

32. Mags February 26, 2016 at 2:16 pm #

I love secret flying! I check them everyday. Have you tried theflightdeal.com? Very similar to Secret Flying, but they occasionally have some different deals.

• McCool Travel February 27, 2016 at 10:40 am #

Absolutely. I have followed The Flight Deal, like forever. Love their daily emails. Travel Happy!

33. Bob Ramsak February 26, 2016 at 9:08 am #

Thanks for the tip on Secret Flying, new one for me. Subscribing to newsletter now. 🙂

34. hotel booking February 26, 2016 at 6:23 am #

I know them already, but you remind me differently. These lists are inspiring.

• McCool Travel February 27, 2016 at 10:42 am #

Nice to know. Thank you.

• hotel booking February 29, 2016 at 2:32 am #

Its my pleasure!! You will be glad to know that we are also working to make travel more easy with our hotel booking website. Our target is to provide a better experience to traveler with a easy booking system. Looking forward to hear from you about our site.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 8 Great Travel Hacks for Happy Travelers • McCool Travel - April 5, 2017

[…] for car rentals. Use your discount codes to find the best deal, register your rental details with AutoSlash, and they continue to look for better deals. I have saved hundreds of dollars this way, plus […]

McCool Travel wants to know ...

%d bloggers like this: